Thursday, November 10, 2011

Smoldering Stubs

This past week has been long and hard.  Various things were going on, it almost seemed like there was a problem in every area of my life.  There were a  few 'impossible' situations to deal with or at least think of the best way they should be dealt with.  Someone dear to my heart was hospitalized.  One of my children got put into a bad situation that couldn't really be avoided.  Old health problems coming back.  Divorce attorney, that just says stress.  Bad news here and hard times there.  
I found myself crying out 'Where are you God?  What is going on?"  I remember hearing Elizabeth Elliot say it is not our place to question God, only to trust Him.  As I picked up the "Solution (aka God's Word)" too look for the right answer.  I read Isaiah 7.  It says something like this.  King David's family was told that a couple of kings were getting together to go against them. The Bible records their hearts were shaken as the trees of the forest are shaken by the wind.  That really caught my attention.  That was how I felt this very week.  I had been, once again, shaken.  Shaken hard.  I knew my answer was here.  Then God spoke, He told Isaiah to go tell David's family,  "Be careful, keep calm and don’t be afraid. Do not lose heart because of these two smoldering stubs of firewood".  Really?  I had to stop and think.  Keep calm.  Don't be afraid.  Smoldering stubs?  I suppose to God that was all it is.  No big deal.  Just some smoldering stubs not two big, huge armies. Then the Lord told them what would and wouldn't happen.  God said "Ask the LORD your God for a sign, whether in the deepest depths or in the highest heights."  
Wow!  I really can understand the response because this is just how I felt between the time I read what God said and that response.  David's family said, "I will not ask; I will not put the LORD to the test.”  Oops.  God pretty much said, guys, don't try my patience, just do what your told.  My words of course.   
 I would love to have the faith that Mrs. Elliot had, never questioning always believing.  At this point in my life I don't.  I am more like the Israelites wondering in the desert grumbling and complaining.  When will this end?  Will I eat beans and rice forever?  Did you bring me out here to kill me?  Am I going to die before I ever even see the promised land?  More like David's family being shaken and saying, 'No way will I test God'.  But, here He is right when I ask.  With just the right answers.  Telling me that it is not only okay to ask Him for a sign that I will one day leave the dessert but that it is His idea in the first place.  Even a big sign.  Even though I took what I had just read as my 'sign' being me, I asked God to give me another sign.  It may take awhile as it isn't something that could happen right away.  In spite of having to wait, God chose to give me a different sign.  A list of things I have learned from the rough week.  Things He is using to mold me into who He wants me to be.  Things I would have never learned otherwise.  Things I can share and use.  It looks something like this.
God is faithful even if I am not.
He has a plan and it will work out because He can see the whole picture not just the one pixel that I see.
I can be my own attorney in a lot of ways.
He loves my children more than I ever could.
The court house is a bounty of free information and help!
People are more willing to do their job when you treat them like people.
People want you to say Thank you.
All hard work brings profit.
Don't believe every 'that is impossible' you hear.
Keep calm.
Don't be afraid.
It is no big deal to God and HE is still on the Throne.
He works it out in the end.
This is about Him and not me.
I know Mrs. Elliot went through some very hard times in her life.  To never question worked for her.  But, I am not her.  God has not only allowed me to question, He has let me know that as long as I am working to serve Him, He will meet me where I am.  He delights to make smoldering stubs out the times when life shakes us like trees of the forest are shaken by the wind.
 








No comments:

Post a Comment